If you collect comics, you know the struggle of organizing and storing your collection. Single issues can't stand up on their own so you can't stash them like you would books. Compendiums are heavy and bulky. Trades can vary in size and shape. In the end, you're left with a cohesive but wildly varied collection and no idea how to keep it stored securely.
Like with most collections, the best way to keep your comic books stored safely is to set aside some space just for them. Creating a space specifically for your comic books will help you care for each different kind of book the way they each need to be. Making an effective, safe comic book storage area in your home or storage area is surprisingly easy when you know how to get started. That’s what we’re here to help with. All it takes to store your comic books successfully is asking and answer these questions:
How should I prepare my comics for storage?
Individual comic books need to be treated and cared for individually. This can take a lot of time and be a lot of work, but it's necessary if you want to maintain their integrity. If you plan on storing your comics for an indeterminable amount of time, they'll need to be prepared first. Here's how you do that:
- Gather your necessary materials. The two main things you're going to need are cardboard backing and plastic bags. The cardboard will be inserted in the bags with each issue to keep them from bending. Please note that comics from different eras will be different sizes. Here's an easy reference:
- Comics printed between 1980 and now measure 6 7/8" x 10 1/2"
- Comics printed during the Silver Age between 1950 and 1980 measure 7 1/8" x 10 1/2"
- Comics printed during the Golden age before 1950 measure 7 3/4" x 10 1/2"
- Put especially valuable comics in hard shell cases. If you have any issues that are more valuable or precious to you than others, give them extra protection.
- Prepare your issues. First you get a plastic bag and slide the comic inside. Then take the cardboard backing pieces and slide them in behind the comics. Fold over the top to seal it and then move onto the next.
What sort of storage containers should I use?
There are a few different routes you can go down when it comes to the storage containers you choose for your comics. They include:
- Cardboard long boxes. This is the most traditional comic book storage container. They’re affordable and easy to come by. They’re also built directly to fit the size of your comics, which prevents shifting from happening during storage.
- Plastic bins. Plastic bins are less vulnerable to moisture damage, but they also cost more. If you’re especially interested in long term protection of your collection, however, they’re a good choice.
- A safe. You store other valuables inside a safe. That rule applies to your valuable collectables like comic books as well.
Are there other things I need to consider when storing my comics?
Yes! When it comes to preserving your comic collection, there are a lot of things to consider. Protecting them and storing them in solid containers is just the first step. You also have to make sure to pay attention to the following:
- Don’t stack boxes on top of one another. Piled boxes can collapse or fall over. That means your comics can end up harmed, bent, ripped, or lost. Don't stack your boxes unless you have absolutely no other option.
- Keep your comics in a climate controlled storage space. Comics, like other paper goods, are sensitive to moisture and temperature. Mold can make its way into even the most well-organized collection if they’re not stored in a safe place. If you’re going for long term storage, do so in a climate controlled storage unit or other similarly maintained space.
- Never handle your collection with unclean hands. This is especially true for anyone interested in reselling their comics. A single fingerprint or smudge can devalue your rarer collectibles. This rule should apply to friends and potential buyers as well.
Storage Direct offers the secure, climate-controlled storage units you’re looking for when storing your comics. Comics are valuable, fragile, and beloved to those that collect them. Don’t settle for less than the best when it comes to taking care of your issues.
From Wolverine to Moon Knight and beyond, we’ve got you covered. Get in touch with Storage Direct to see which of our customizable self-storage solutions works best for your needs.